media player for mpeg-4? xmms can't load faad plugin

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Sun Jun 26 18:47:45 GMT 2005

Anyone have any luck getting xmms to play m4a (mpeg-4) files?

I've installed the xmms-faad port, but the libmp4.so plugin doesn't
seem to want to work:

/usr/X11R6/lib/xmms/Input/libmp4.so: Undefined symbol "MP4GetTrackAudioType"

I wonder if this could be one port stepping on another, or even just a
simple path problem, like LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

I have gotten gmplayer to play these files, but it doesn't do playlist
shuffling and the gain is so low through gmplayer that I have to crank
the gain and volume to the max just to hear it at a decent level.
Then every darn time I get email, ringin.wav plays over it at max
volume.  I almost did myself a mischief the first time that happened.
Sure it's hilarious in hindsight, but it really scares the dirt outa
you when it happens.

I also tried xine.  It's pretty cool looking and all, like xmms, and
it has a very cool splash, but it dumps core when I try to play m4a
files.

BTW, these m4a files were ripped by iTunes on my wife's windoze box,
and I am trying to play them on FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p1.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

cerebral darwinism, n:
  The theory that the effects of cerebral atrophy can be reversed
through the purging action of heavy alcohol consumption.  Large
amounts of alcohol cause many brain cells to perish due to oxygen
deprivation.  Through the process of natural selection, the weak and
sick brain cells will die first, leaving only the healthy cells.  This
wonderful process leaves the imbiber with a healthier, more vibrant
brain, and increases mental capacity.  Thus, the devastating effects
of cerebral atrophy are reversed, and academic performance actually
increases beyond previous levels.