firewall on FreeBSD

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Fri Jun 24 14:31:26 GMT 2005

Which firewall you select to use should be based on your level of
understanding of how information is moved across the internet.
Ipfilter is best suited for people who are just learning about
firewalling. PF is a little more automated and the rules are very
close to IPF's.
IPFW is for the advanced firewall users who have expert
understanding of the internet. All 3 firewalls support stateful
rules and are available in the 5.4 release. Best advice is start
with Ipfilter and when you find out that you have needs which are
not met by Ipfilter then move over to IPFW.