Re Custom kernel config questions linux user

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:01:56 GMT 2005

On 6/23/2005 20:24, Daniel Gonzalez wrote:

>Hello,
>I was wondering if anyone could provide me an answer to the
>following questions. Please keep in mind that by default I learned Unix
>on a Linux system, so... please no flames :(.

Flames??!! What for? Buddy we have better work to do than say "My OS
superior than yours":-) Both Linux and *BSD are great OS.

> 1) Is there any sort of configuration interface (ncurses, X, etc),
>or am I 'stuck' with 'manually configuring' a textfile?

Configuration for what? Some applications do have some kind of GUI
(ncurses maybe) interface. But text files work everywhere. Also more
convenient when you are on a low bandwidth remote terminal.

>FreeBSD system. Check out SWAT or
>I think there may be something called Webmin?

Yeh Webmin is a tool. But you need lots of things to work right (for
example, apache, a few libraries) to ensure that you can even start up
webmin.

> 2) Is there a complete list of features which can be enabled for the
>kernel, other what was in the GENERIC configuration file?

Of course. Refer to the NOTES (LINT in 4.* family).

Thanks
S.