Re Custom kernel config questions linux user

Daniel Gonzalez spammesilly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:54:16 GMT 2005

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could provide me an answer to the
following questions. Please keep in mind that by default I learned Unix
on a Linux system, so... please no flames :(.

I was a Slackware devotee for about 4 years and a SuSe user for 2
before moving to FreeBSD. Nothing wrong with cutting your teeth on a Linux
system to get comfortable with a "Unix-like" OS. One thing I found out by
switching to FreeBSD is the documentation (online/print) is far superior to
what's out there for Linux.

 1) Is there any sort of configuration interface (ncurses, X, etc),
or am I 'stuck' with 'manually configuring' a textfile?

That depends on what you want to configure. I prefer using editors on the
files as I
seem to better understand the programs I'm configuring. Check ports/packages
to see if there are GUIs.
Chances are that there will be some sort of GUIs for configuring most of a
FreeBSD system. Check out SWAT or
I think there may be something called Webmin?

 2) Is there a complete list of features which can be enabled for the
kernel, other what was in the GENERIC configuration file?

The FreeBSD handbook section on rebuilding kernels, I believe refers you to
the "NOTES" section under the /usr/src directory
which will list options to be added to the kernel for extra performance
tweaks for your specific system/processor.

 3) What is needed for the FreeBSD kernel and what modules need to be
compiled in order to use IDE CD-burning. In linux previous to kernel
version 2.6.8 I know that SCSI was required, but now they are doing
proper IDE emulation.

Your best bet is to check out this link:
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Unix/FreeBSD-Burning.php
It's the same link I used to get info for IDE CD-burning on FreeBSD (5.4RC2).
I also used the online FreeBSD Handbook which has
been an outstanding source of information on rebuilding kernels (among many
other things).

 Thanks, I'll most likely have more questions later.
-Garrett

No problem with the questions. I gauge my knowledge of a subject by how well
I can explain it to someone else

--
Dan Gonzalez
spammesilly at gmail dot com