DDS Tape problems

Pavel Duda element at email.cz
Tue Jun 21 13:31:37 GMT 2005

Jerry McAllister wrote:
>>Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

> We have had a lot of experience with seeing similar problems, but little
> with solving it.   We have about 75 systems with mostly DDS-3 some are
> DDS-4. All Are SCSI.   All were on Dell Poweredge machines and are which
> ever vendor OEM model they were installing at the moment - but we couldn't
> seem to identify a clear difference from one model to the next.
>
> More than half seem to have been working fine for several years.
> The rest have continual problems with symptoms similar to yours -
> it appears to write OK, but the tape is unreadable.   There appears to
> be stuff on the tape but it is junk.  I say this because skips and
> rewinds take about the amount of time I would expect,  but of course
> that is not a definitive test.   Also, sometimes I can cat or dd a file
> off the tape that is junk (eg the file is junk - not readable as anything.
> But often I cannot get anything at all.   Some got errors during the write.
>
> I think there are multiple problems with the DDS drives, some of which
> may be their own hardware on internal control and some may be the
> SCSI controller or the drivers, but I have never been able to pin
> anything down and after asking several questions on the lists over
> several years, have had no response other than some people agreeing
> and some stabs with additional questions to answer that all went nowhere.
>
> In a couple of cases, getting the drive replaced seemed to fix the
> problem.   I believe the ones that warranty replacement helped were the
> ones that failed during write.    In others I don't think rplacement helped.
> Some sites have upgraded to DLT.
>
> I know none of this helps much toward solving the problem, but I post
> this response for moral support and in hopes of jogging someone who
> might know more about these things.
>
> ////jerry

>>>Not terribly helpful, but I have a DAT2 working with an Adaptec 2940A.
>>>It's worked since forever and is fine with 5.4 though I never ran
>>>5.1/2/3.  Is the machine it's attached to dual-boot?  I.e. can you test
>>>the tape drive in Windows, or Linux for example?  (Well, they have to be
>>>good for something :-))   Is this a recent problem or is this the first
>>>time you've tried using this drive?  Can you try another SCSI adapter?
>>>I've run mine (for testing only) off the cheapest rubbish I got free
>>>with a SCSI CDRW and it was fine.
>>
>>I was trying to use Tekram SCSI adapter with same result. I have taken
>>this DDS tape from my AIX machine (netfinity) where it was working wo
>>problems.
>>

>>>The only other guess would be termination.  Has anything else on your
>>>SCSI chain changed?  Is the terminator properly plugged in?
>>
>>Termination should be fine. I have tried both variants - termination on
>>tape and termination via active terminator on cable.
>>

>>>--Alex

I've just switched tape drive for a DDS-4 and this one works fine. Funny
is that DDS3 drive works wo problems on my workstation with Windows and
same (well same type not exactly same) SCSI adapter. I have also found
some information that there could be problem with SCSI commands
queueing, but no solution for that or what it causes. Anyway now I'm
happy that DDS-4 in server works fine so I probably wont dig deeper to
find out where is the problem....

Pavel