Connecting My ADSL MODEM To My FreeBSD Pc.

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Jun 21 13:25:05 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:59:38AM -0400, Stephan Weaver wrote:
> My Isp Uses PPPoA, i used the instructions from the handbook;
> Using 'mpd'.
> I set the ADSL router in 'bridge' mode and connect the Ethernet cable
> from the Dsl Router/Modem to my FreeBSD Firewall. ON the Interface vr0.
> But i have little success getting the results i want. [The Firewall doesn't
> connect to my ISP]

I don't think the SpeedTouch modems support bridging from PPPoA to Ethernet
to the best of my knowledge -- I only know of one very specific model of
D-Link ADSL modem which will do this (DSL-500G+ I think).

You'll probably have more luck using a native ATM card hooked up to the
ATM-25 passthrough port on the SpeedTouch and using userland PPP to get
PPPoA encapsulation through to the BSD box.

We don't support PPPoA in Netgraph [yet], I have a paper design for such
a thing I haven't had any free time to implement.

BMS