Correct step for setting up MBR on a windows drive?

Mac Mason mac at cs.hmc.edu
Tue Jun 21 00:04:14 GMT 2005

I've got a machine with FreeBSD on it. Recently, I added another drive,
on which I put Windows. Given that I don't really trust the Windows
install program with my MBR, I unplugged the FreeBSD drive during the
install.

Now, the FreeBSD bootloader can't load windows; if I unplug the FreeBSD
drive again, windows boots up happily, but I don't much like the idea of
un-plugging and re-plugging drives to make things work.

The FreeBSD bootloader notes that there are two drives installed, but
picking either one of them results in BSD booting up, not windows.

How do I go about teaching the FreeBSD bootloader how to boot Windows?

("Replace it with grub" is a reasonable answer, but I'd rather not go to
the trouble, if it's possible)

Thanks!

    --Mac