postfix or qmail?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jun 18 15:21:05 GMT 2005

Luciano Musacchio wrote:

>hi,
>I've a simple question, postfix or qmail? :), I've a fair review for both from
>some linux admins, now, I want to know fbsd's community opinion :). The mail
>server (now running sendmail) serves ~300 accounts.

 From limited experience, Postfix is much better documented and has a
great O'Reilly book.  So far, everything I've needed to do, postfix just
did.  IMHO, the main author has a great track record in the Unix world.

qmail documentation is, as far as I can tell, just "Life with Qmail"
(google should do it).  It has some interesting tricks (an email address
like "user" can automatically have aliases like "user-*) that I haven't
really explored, but the manual pages are just rubbish.  It also uses a
Maildir format by default and takes a bit of tweaking to use regular
/var/spool/mail.

I haven't done anything tricky with it qmail, so take this with a pinch
of salt, but I'd buy the O'Reilly book and pick Postfix.

--Alex