[Solved] How to disable > quoting of lines starting with From in email body?

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 15 05:57:07 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:33:23PM -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Are you absolutely certain that that formatting isn't getting into your
> messages by your MUA?  It would be very strange indeed for an MTA to
> start reformatting it.  I would be more inclined to believe that your
> MUA has the codes inserted and something may be *stripping* them out,
> or maybe converting to another format/MIME type or something like that
> in transit before thinking that an MTA or filter is *inserting*
> characters.  Probably only sniffing the traffic would tell that for
> sure.

Using tcpdump I have confirmed that my system is reproducing with
perfect fidelity the messages as they are transmitted over the wire.
Those > characters are being added before they reach my system.
The law of parsimony says that it's the Mailman software running this
list that's doing it.

> TCPDump is the standard "workhorse" for sniffing traffic on Unix.  For
> the more graphically inclined, my favorite has been Ethereal.  Make
> sure you run them with root priv to access the interface in promiscuous
> mode.  There are a number of options for dumping output to logs or in
> hex/ascii format, etc. so you might want to look up an article on using
> Ethereal.  Dsniff also comes to mind, but I can't remember what exactly
> that was designed to capture; there's also Ettercap.

Thanks for the tcpdump tip.  That tool is solid gold.

--
Danny MacMillan