Kernel Core Dumping

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 14 21:05:47 GMT 2005

On Tuesday, 14 June 2005 at  5:53:58 -0700, J T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some reason my machine keeps crashing almost every night at around
> 3:00am with the following test in the messages log file:
>
> Jun 14 03:02:28 taco kernel: pid 7174 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> (core dumped)

> I decided to rm the file
> '/usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_5_3' just to
> see if that fixed it. And it did, but why was it crashing the entire
> box?

The message you see there has nothing directly to do with the crash of
the system, though it may be an indication of hardware issues.  To
find out, you'll need to take a processor dump and see what's going
on.  Unfortunately, I can no longer find the instructions in the
online handbook; does anybody else know where they are?  I have some
instructions in my debugging tutorial at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Papers/Debug-tutorial/tutorial.pdf, but
there should be more concise information on the FreeBSD web site.

Greg
The virus contained in this message was not detected.

Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.