PostgreSQL 8.0.3 + FreeBSD + TCP/IP

Ken Ebling ken at idealinter.net
Tue Jun 14 20:55:27 GMT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Joseph Koenig (jWeb) wrote:

> I'm guessing that opening the port is part of what placing
> "postgresql_enable=YES" in the rc.conf file does, correct? If so,
> that's
> probably the problem as I have not rebooted since adding that. Is
> there a
> way to safely force that to run without rebooting? There is a hardware
> firewall in front of the server that I have ensured is allowing
> that port
> through. Thanks,
>
> Joe Koenig
> Production Manager
> jWeb New Media Design
> joe at jWebmedia.com
> http://www.jwebmedia.com/
> 636.928.3162

> !DSPAM:42af4251253444259514897!

Hi Joe,

You can confirm whether or not port 5432 is opened by typing "netstat
-na | grep 5432"  on your database server.

You should not have to reboot for the port to be opened.  When
PostgreSQL starts, (either by starting it manually, or then the
machine boots) it will open the port.

IIt definitely sounds like the firewall could be your problem.  I'd
try connecting to the database server's port 5432 via telnet from an
outside location, so that your packets have to pass thru the firewall
in question.

Thanks,

Ken Ebling
Ideal Internet, Inc.