PostgreSQL 8.0.3 + FreeBSD + TCP/IP

Joseph Koenig (jWeb) joe at jwebmedia.com
Tue Jun 14 20:46:49 GMT 2005

> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 03:14 pm, Joseph Koenig (jWeb) wrote:

>>> You need to set listen_addresses, like it says in the comments:
>>>
>>> listen_addresses = '*'
>>>
>>> This will allow Postgresql connections from all interfaces.
>>
>> I have already tried setting the listen_addresses to * and the actual
>> IP. Neither of which has worked. I restarted the postmaster both
>> times using the script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, and by using pg_ctl.
>> Even tried starting postmaster with pg_ctl -i. Nothing seems to be
>> working. I have double-checked all of my pg_hba.conf settings, even
>> though the error doesn't indicate that is the problem at all.
>>
>> Anyone else have any ideas at all? Thanks,
>>
>> Joe Koenig
>> Production Manager
>> jWeb New Media Design
>> joe at jWebmedia.com
>> http://www.jwebmedia.com/
>> 636.928.3162
>

> Have you checked the firewall settings on both computers to ensure that
> port 5432 is open?
>
> Andrew Gould

I'm guessing that opening the port is part of what placing
"postgresql_enable=YES" in the rc.conf file does, correct? If so, that's
probably the problem as I have not rebooted since adding that. Is there a
way to safely force that to run without rebooting? There is a hardware
firewall in front of the server that I have ensured is allowing that port
through. Thanks,

Joe Koenig
Production Manager
jWeb New Media Design