WebCam support in FreeBSD

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Jun 14 14:44:05 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 09:27 am, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Yuri <yuri at tsoft.com> writes:
> > What is the way to use webcam under FreeBSD ?
> >
> > Under Linux there are many drivers supporting many webcams exposing
> > them as device with some standardised access.
> >
> > Under Windows there's whole driver infrastructure of camera
> > devices.
> >
> > What's in FreeBSD ? I couldn't find anything except the old bt848
> > driver and driver for some obsolete parallel port camera.
> >
> > Am I missing something ?
>
> I haven't got much interest in this kind of thing myself, but I do
> know about: http://vinvin.dyndns.org/projects/pwc_bsd.html

Thanks for the link!  I've been wondering about webcams as well.

For the original message poster:  Depending on what you want to do, you
can use a digital camera with an AV out port and a TV tuner card to
show the image in fxtv and gnome-meeting.  I wouldn't know how to
stream the image to a web page; but gnome-meeting accepted the TV tuner
card as an image source device.  Also, if you just want to monitor the
room remotely, you could forward fxtv and X over ssh.  (Caveat:  I
haven't messed with this in a long time; so YMMV with newer versions of
drivers and ports.)

Good luck; and have fun!

Andrew Gould