arplookup failed

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jun 6 22:22:22 GMT 2005

Kövesdán Gábor wrote:

> Jun  6 19:24:38 server kernel: arplookup <here is an ip addr> failed:
> host is not on local network
>
> I know what arp is, and I understand this message, but I don't know
> what causes it, but it annoys me, and I'd like to remove it from my
> log, since it doesn't make any severe error, and I would like
> compendious log files. Do You have any idea?

Leaving out the IP address serves no purpose and without a) the IP
address(es) and subnet mask(s) of the host this message comes from and
b) the IP address that causes the message, you are simply asking us to
be psychic.

However, here is the scenario which has caused my machine to generate
these messages:

1) External address assigned by DHCP from a cable modem e.g. 82.50.100.101
2) My internal network address 192.165.5.1/255.255.0.0
3) Cable modem itself insists it has address 192.9.100.1

Address 3 is accessed via address 1 (the external interface) but has an
IP address consistent with being on the internal network, hence the message.

--Alex