FreeBSD 5.x with > 70k users?

Ben Hockenhull benh at jpj.net
Mon Jun 6 13:36:21 GMT 2005

Hi there,

I'm attempting to migrate an old BSDI system to FreeBSD.  The system in
question has about 71k users, with UIDs from about 2000 up to about 70000.
When I import the master.passwd file (formats are the same) to the new
system and try to rebuild the .db files, it fails with a pwd_mkdb: put:
Unknown error: 0 .

As best I can tell, if I import a small subset of the users (about 5k),
things work fine.  From what I understand, FreeBSD can have massive UIDs,
with the caveat that some applications may not like UIDs > 65535.

I did some research and found someone reporting an identical problem, but
didn't see that he'd found a solution.  Any input, pointers, solutions
greatly appreciated.

Ben