ssh delays 40 seconds

Robert Marella rmarella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 02:49:31 GMT 2005

Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 03:25:08PM -1000, Robert Marella wrote:
>
>>Robert Huff wrote:

>>>	Affirmed for the general case.  "30 second delay, then normal
>>>network activity" _screams_ DNS misconfiguration, usually but not
>>>always in the client side.
>>>

>>>			Robert Huff
>>
>>Forgive me if I am dense. According to the readout of "ssh -vvv gateway"
>>the connection is made immediately. Does that not indicate that it knew
>>where to go?
>

> It's not the forward case that's the problem. The sshd daemon on the
> server side attempts to find out where the connection is from by doing
> a reverse-lookup. If the incoming IP hasn't got a DNS entry, the failing
> DNS ip-lookup will time out in ~30s.
>
> Cheers.
Jonathan

Thanks for responding. In all of my systems /etc/hosts is populated with
the name and LAN IP address of all other boxes. My gateway/firewall is a
5.4 Rel computer. I can ping that box "it's called gateway" with ping
gateway or ping 10.0.0.1 no problem.

I ssh there and it takes 40 seconds to provide me with a request for
passphase. Once I'm in there I can ping all other boxes with name or IP.
If I ssh from there to any box it takes 40 seconds for that next box to
request a password. This happens from any box to any box. It was working
perfectly until this week. It might be realted to me updating the
gateway box from 5.3 to 5.4 but I know I had accessed it right after
upgrade because it is headless and I had to ssh into it to do the
world/kernel thing.

Other than /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf is there any other config
files I should check.

Thanks again for your time.

Robert