ftpchroot

Denny Jodeit tech at flare.net
Fri Jun 3 20:50:58 GMT 2005

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to restrict an ftp user to a particular directory. I've
> written an ftpchroot file, as follows:
>
> Username  /var/spool/ftp/ ./Username/photos
>

> After I write the file and restart inetd, I am not able to login to
> ftp with this user account at all. I have RTFM and evidently don't get

> it...
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
>
> Denny

Maybe  you're trying to do something more complicated than I am, but I
have
ftpchroot  working. My /etc/ftpchroot file just consists of a list of
usernames, one per line. This effectively restricts the ftp user to
his/her
home directory on the server (the home directory, of course, is owned by
the
user in question).  On your system does the user own the directory you
are
trying to ftpchroot him in? Perhaps that is a requirement...

Lisa Casey

Lisa,

Yes, just a little different than your case......

In my example, I substituted "Username" for the real user name

With plain old ftpd, as setup by default during installation and no
ftpchroot file present at all, "Username" can login to ftp and ends up
in /usr/home/Username. I want Username to only be able to login to
/usr/home/Username/photos/ and no where else.

Denny