/var too small [was Gap of years = loss of memory!!]

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:22:28 GMT 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 09:13,  the author Giorgos Keramidas contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: /var too small [was Gap of years = loss of memory!!]:

>On 2005-06-02 06:44, Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:
>>On Thursday 02 June 2005 06:16,  the author Jerry McAllister contributed to
>>the dialogue on-
>>
>> Re: /var too small [was Gap of years = loss of memory!!]:

>>> As for moving the /var partition:
>>> After you fdisk(8) and disklabel(8) the new drive and newfs(8) the newly
>>> created file system[s], create a different temporaty mount point for it
>>> to use while you are moving thing - say /newvar.
>>> Then mount the file system on /newvar.
>>> Then tar stuff in /var up and move it to /newvar
>>> Unroll it in newvar and check it out.
>>>  (Since it is a whole filesystem, you could as easily use
>>> dump(8)/restore(8) When you are convinced it looks good, unmount /var and
>>> /newvar and remount the new partition as /var.  Remount the old one as
>>> /oldlogs if you like.
>>> Then edit /etc/fstab to make the new mounts the default.
>>> Then rmove the tar(dump) file.
>>
>> Understood
>
>A step by step description of what I used to move my data from a 45 GB
>IDE disk to a larger, new 200 GB disk back in October, can also be found
>at the following post:
>
>http://keramida.serverhive.com/weblog/archives/2004-10-26/daemonizing-a-new-
>disk
>
>This may come handy, so feel free to give it a look.  It more or less
>includes everything described by Jerry McAllister and shows how the
>whole process can be done using the command line tools of FreeBSD.
>Some times, sysinstall doesn't work quite right for me; so I prefer
>using fdisk/bsdlabel/newfs when I have a choise.
>
>- Giorgos
Thank you very much Giorgios
BTW did you read the bit about SATA drives - I seem not to be able to get
freebsd to boot off a drive on  SATA2 if I place my new drive on SATA1 - any
ideas?

david
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.