/var too small [was Gap of years = loss of memory!!]

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jun 2 16:13:59 GMT 2005

On 2005-06-02 06:44, Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:
>On Thursday 02 June 2005 06:16,  the author Jerry McAllister contributed to
>the dialogue on-
> Re: /var too small [was Gap of years = loss of memory!!]:
>>>
>>> This is the sort of thing I used to do regularly but not having
>>> done this task for a few years I feel the need to check up on the
>>> best way to deal with the circumstances described below.
>>>
>>> I decided to change the subject - maybe you thought the original
>>> was spam :-) I have a freebsd system with the following hard drive
>>> configuration:
>>>
>>> $ df
>>> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>>> /dev/ad6s1a    253678    44804    188580    19%    /
>>> devfs               1        1         0   100%    /dev
>>> /dev/ad6s1e    253678    15732    217652     7%    /tmp
>>> /dev/ad6s1f 148665266 18848290 117923756    14%    /usr
>>> /dev/ad6s1d    253678   107022    126362    46%    /var
>
>> As for moving the /var partition:
>> After you fdisk(8) and disklabel(8) the new drive and newfs(8) the newly
>> created file system[s], create a different temporaty mount point for it
>> to use while you are moving thing - say /newvar.
>> Then mount the file system on /newvar.
>> Then tar stuff in /var up and move it to /newvar
>> Unroll it in newvar and check it out.
>>  (Since it is a whole filesystem, you could as easily use dump(8)/restore(8)
>> When you are convinced it looks good, unmount /var and /newvar and
>> remount the new partition as /var.  Remount the old one as /oldlogs if you
>> like.
>> Then edit /etc/fstab to make the new mounts the default.
>> Then rmove the tar(dump) file.
>
> Understood

A step by step description of what I used to move my data from a 45 GB
IDE disk to a larger, new 200 GB disk back in October, can also be found
at the following post:

http://keramida.serverhive.com/weblog/archives/2004-10-26/daemonizing-a-new-disk

This may come handy, so feel free to give it a look.  It more or less
includes everything described by Jerry McAllister and shows how the
whole process can be done using the command line tools of FreeBSD.
Some times, sysinstall doesn't work quite right for me; so I prefer
using fdisk/bsdlabel/newfs when I have a choise.

- Giorgos