what to do? amd64 - i386

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sun Jul 31 20:47:26 GMT 2005

dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> writes:

>>   cd /usr/ports/www/opera; make -V ONLY_FOR_ARCH
>
> Just tried this, but got no response. Maybe it works now.

#!/bin/ksh -o posix

find /usr/ports -name Makefile | while () ; do
    read DIR
    cd ${DIR%Makefile}
    BBB=$(make -V BROKEN         2>/dev/null)
    OOO=$(make -V ONLY_FOR_ARCHS 2>/dev/null)
    if [ -n "$BBB" -o -n "$OOO" ]; then
        echo "#### $PWD ####"
        if [ -n "$BBB" ]; then
            echo "BROKEN    $BBB"
        fi
        if [ -n "$OOO" ]; then
            echo "ONLY_FOR  $OOO"
        fi
    fi
done

## The End.

>> There are a few things that will not work at all on amd64 right now,
>> however: OpenOffice.org, proprietary media codecs, hardware OpenGL
>> acceleration...
>
> Any ideas about _WHAT_ does not work? Do you have examples?
> "If I can't live without them, then.." ;-))

I forget, but too many for me.  Found somebody with Google that got
several "broken" things running, but he didn't say how.

I had a few problems with base-system stuff but probably could have
lived with that. (Eg, I had to use older ncr instead of sym.)  The
problems are with the ports, so waiting for 6.x won't help.