dhclient and wpa_supplicant

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Jul 30 19:23:14 GMT 2005

Sam Leffler wrote:
> Eric Schuele wrote:

<big-snip>

>> dhclient.conf contains
>> ===========================
>> interface "ath0" {
>>   #send option host-name "myhost";
>>   #send option domain-name "nxdomain.org";
>>   send dhcp-client-identifier "myhost";
>>
>>   media
>>   "ssid <home_ssid> mode 11b channel 11 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey
>> 0x<home_wepkey>",
>>   ### Office
>>   "ssid <office_ssid mode 11b channel 6 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey
>> 0x<office_wepkey>";
>>       request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,
>> domain-name-servers, domain-name;
>> }
>

> Do not use media statements to setup wireless parameters; this does not
> work.  You need to run wpa_supplicant and let it identify the network
> and setup the key parameters.

How do I tell wpa_supplicant about the network media?  I had found an
older post of yours regarding NOT doing it in dhclient.conf.... but I've
found no other way to accomplish it.

>> wpa_supplicant.conf
>> =============================
>> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
>> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>>
>> # Home Network
>> network={
>>    ssid="<home_ssid>"
>>    scan_ssid=1
>>    key_mgmt=NONE
>>    wep_tx_keyidx=0
>>    wep_key0="<home_wepkey>"
>> }
>>
>> # Office Network
>> network={
>>    ssid="<office_ssid>"
>>    scan_ssid=1
>>    key_mgmt=NONE
>>    wep_tx_keyidx=0
>>    wep_key0="<office_wepkey>"
>> }
>>

> Not sure you need scan_ssid set, I'd leave it out.
>
> If you have problems try disabling auto-startup of ath0 and run
> wpa_supplicant by hand with the -d flag to see what it's doing.  Once
> that's going then enable startup in rc.conf.  If you continue to have
> problems provide the output wpa_supplicant -d -i ath0 -c
> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (or similar) when you have trouble.  There is
> also a pending issue with locating some ap's that are setup to hide
> their ssid.  If one of the ap's is configured in this way contact me
> directly--I've been trying to collect the info I need to identify what's
> going on.

Both my APs (home and office) hide their ssids.  One is a wrt54g (home),
the other is linksys as well... though I forget the model at the moment
(FWIW its a/b/g).  What can I do to provide the info you need?

--
Regards,
Eric