dhclient and wpa_supplicant

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sat Jul 30 18:30:51 GMT 2005

Eric Schuele wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:

>>> Brooks fixed a bunch of bugs in dhclient and I just committed an
>>> important fix to wpa_supplicant to work right when wireless cards are
>>> ejected (previously it would loop).
>>>
>>> I also tested that dhclient does the right thing for roaming between
>>> ap's--switching causes dhclient to immediately collect a new lease.
>>>
>>> I just ran tests with wpa_supplicant and found that it does appear to
>>> handle open ap's properly.
>>>
>>> Everything except the wpa_supplicant changes have been MFC'd to
>>> RELENG_6 for the 6.0RC2 build that's going to happen soon (I'm hoping
>>> to get re to approve the wpa_supplicant changes).
>>

>> FWIW I just MFC'd the wpa_supplicant fix.
>>

>>> So the question is what are the outstanding issues with dhclient and
>>> wpa_supplicant?  I'm mostly concerned with wireless devices but feel
>>> free to talk about wired interfaces too.  If something doesn't work
>>> right please try to give steps to reproduce the problem.  Otherwise
>>> please provide detailed info include ifconfig output.  Remember that
>>> dhclient logs info to /var/log/messages and you should also see link
>>> state change msgs there too.
>>

>> s/6.0RC2/6.0BETA2/.
>>
>>     Sam
>>
> Hello,
>
> I am very interested in getting wpa_supplicant & dhclient to work.
> Presently it does not work for me the way I would hope it would.
>
> I would think that if it were setup properly on my machine I could turn
> the machine on at home, and have it associate with my AP and then
> acquire a lease.  Then I could shut it down... go to the office... turn
> it on and then have it associate with the AP there and acquire a lease.
>
> However it does not seem to do this.  It seems to only want to associate
>  with the last AP it ever associated with.  I then have to down the
> interface and manually ifconfig it.
>
> I am fairly sure I do not have things setup properly, since others have
> had much better results.  Can you please point me to the most current
> docs or a "How To" to push me in the right direction.
>
> I have RELENG_6 as of last night.  I have appended some conf files to
> the bottom for your review.
>
> Thanks,
>
> rc.conf contains
> ===========================
> network_interfaces="lo0 bfe0 ath0"
> ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"
> ifconfig_bfe0="DHCP"
>
> dhclient.conf contains
> ===========================
> interface "ath0" {
>   #send option host-name "myhost";
>   #send option domain-name "nxdomain.org";
>   send dhcp-client-identifier "myhost";
>
>   media
>   "ssid <home_ssid> mode 11b channel 11 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey
> 0x<home_wepkey>",
>   ### Office
>   "ssid <office_ssid mode 11b channel 6 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey
> 0x<office_wepkey>";
>
>   request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers,
> [...]

Do not use media statements to setup wireless parameters; this does not
work.  You need to run wpa_supplicant and let it identify the network
and setup the key parameters.

> wpa_supplicant.conf
> =============================
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>
> # Home Network
> network={
>    ssid="<home_ssid>"
>    scan_ssid=1
>    key_mgmt=NONE
>    wep_tx_keyidx=0
>    wep_key0="<home_wepkey>"
> }
>
> # Office Network
> network={
>    ssid="<office_ssid>"
>    scan_ssid=1
>    key_mgmt=NONE
>    wep_tx_keyidx=0
>    wep_key0="<office_wepkey>"
> }

Not sure you need scan_ssid set, I'd leave it out.

If you have problems try disabling auto-startup of ath0 and run
wpa_supplicant by hand with the -d flag to see what it's doing.  Once
that's going then enable startup in rc.conf.  If you continue to have
problems provide the output wpa_supplicant -d -i ath0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (or similar) when you have trouble.  There is
also a pending issue with locating some ap's that are setup to hide
their ssid.  If one of the ap's is configured in this way contact me
directly--I've been trying to collect the info I need to identify what's
going on.

	Sam