Growisofs seg faults with DVD-RAM. Anybody else seen this?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 30 06:24:28 GMT 2005

On Friday, 29 July 2005 at 22:50:13 -0700, Carl Delsey wrote:
> I was trying to use growisofs to write to a DVD-RAM and it kept
> seg faulting. It worked fine with a DVD-R.
>
> I tracked the problem down to place in the code where growisofs
> tries to perform an operation on a file handle it has already
> closed.
>
> I've implemented a workaround already. The problem is, that by my
> reckoning, this should affect anybody who is trying to use a DVD-RAM
> (not DVD+RW) with FreeBSD, but I haven't found any references to the
> problem on the net.

My guess is that DVD-RAM isn't popular enough, and that people who
have had problems with it haven't had the understanding to track the
bug down.

> I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this problem, and if you've
> found some other workaround for it? Or alternatively, you still have
> the problem and my patch would be useful to you. :-)

Is this a workaround or a fix?  The latter is obviously preferable.
Also, does this only affect FreeBSD, or is it general?  In the former
case, contact the maintainer (mail address in the Makefile); in the
latter, contact the project.

Greg