need some advice

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Jul 29 15:03:07 GMT 2005

Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

>On 28 Jul Trevor Sullivan wrote:
>

>>I would recommend purchasing an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core. I just
>>picked one of these up along with 2 gigs of ram and a 6600GT and it
>>runs sooooooo nice. Not only that, but it's cheap.
>>

>I tend to switch to this 3000+ Venice core thing. Problem is finding a
>motherboard that ALSO is fully supported by FreeBSD. It seems lots of
>those 939 boards are not ;-(
>
>If you are running fbsd, which motherboard did you choose?

ASUS A8V Deluxe (no wifi).  However, I think any VIA k8t800Pro should
basically work.

Upside: Twin SATA RAID (VIA + Promise) and legacy IDE; working Gigabit
Ethernet; PS/2 keyboard + mouse; one serial port; 6 USB2 (untested, but
worked in XP); passive northbridge cooling (i.e. no noisy fan); firewire
(untested).

Downside: bad ACPI: power down works, suspend untested, thermal info
completely missing.  acpidump -t produces "acpidump: RSDT entry 2 (sig
OEMB) is corrupt" before reading everything.  However, apic works
afaik.  Only one HDD activity connector

There is an SLI version but I have no idea if that's FreeBSD compatible.

Runs FreeBSD i386 5.4 just fine.

My experience in choosing motherboards is that only a motherboard with
virtually nothing on it is "fully" supported.  When I chose this one the
gigabit ethernet wasn't supported, but that just wasn't important enough
to me.  Then support came along :-)

Overall, I am happy because I haven't seen anything else that would be
better.  If you intend overclocking then it seems that  MSI is a popular
choice, but no idea about other hardware on those boards.

--Alex