filesystem creation problem during the installation process.

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 12:21:22 GMT 2005

On 7/28/05, Jesus Romero <jerori at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dmitry, Thanks a lot to answer my question...
>
> This what I've done so far.
> 1- I already tried to create a small partition for MSDOS, so FreeBSD
> could get the correct geometry, but didn't work.
> 2- I already changed to LBA access to my HD. but didn't work.
> 3- I disarmament my computer complete so the BIOS could take my HD as
> a new drive. but didn't work.
> 4- Every event upon my HD (like left itself without any format) so
> FreeBSD can take it as a new HD. But didn't work.
>
> The FreeBSD version that I is 5.3. I bought this version under the
> "Mundo Linux" magazine.
>
> Here the details of the hardware:
> IDE Primary Master:  Segate 10GB, the geometry between BIOs and
> FreeBSD are equals so far.
> IDE Secondary Master: CDROM 56k
> 128 RAM.
> AMD 750GHz.
> even, I had intalled WinXP (a shit) but NOT ANYMORE !! forever. Btw,
> it worked fine there with that hardware.
>
> Pls help me  !!,  this has taken for my during 1 month trying install
> it without luck !!.
> Any help I'll appreciate.
> Jerori !
>
> On 7/26/05, Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/25/05, Jesus Romero <jerori at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have the following issue:
> > >
> > > Once I've chosen in the sysinstall main menu:
> > > 1- Standart Installation
> > > 2- ad0 as selected drive.
> > > 3- I've deleted the current partitions there and created a new one for
> > > Freebsd using "Use Entire Disk". But I have to click S to define this
> > > slice as ACTIVE partition and that's it. Click Q.
> > > 4- I use "Fdisk Partition Using Entire Disk" I click "A" as default
> > > partition. Click Q.
> > > 5- I select Standar like Boot Manager for drive ad0.
> > > 6- For Choose Distribution, I choose ALL.
> > > 7- For Choose Media, I choose CD/DVD.
> > > 8- And after I got the following warning:
> > >
> > >  User Confirmation Requested
> > >  Last Chance! Are you SURE you want to continue the installation?
> > >  If you're running this on a disk with data you wish to save then WE
> > >  STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO MAKE PROPER BACKUPS before proceeding!
> > >  We can take no responsibility for lost disk contents!
> > >                              [ Yes ]    No
> > >
> > > 9- I chose, YES, and I've always gotten the following message.
> > >
> > > [ Unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev
> > >   Creation of filesystem will be aborted ]
> > >
> > > 10- I've tried a lot alternatives, but without luck!!
> >
> > How big is the drive? What does happen if you create a smaller
> > partition for the OS at the beginning of the drive instead of using
> > the entire drive?

I am out of ideas, sorry. You may try a newer version of FreeBSD, or
another media.

By the way, you should send your replies not only to who replied to
your messages (me), but also to the mailing list - this will increase
your chances to get better answers.

--
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"