need some advice

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Thu Jul 28 22:25:51 GMT 2005

I have the chance to buy a new computer. It will take a long time before
I can do this again.

My options are:

Athlon64-3000+ (Newcastle) on a MSI K8T NEO-FSR board (1Gb 3200 mem)
Athlon64-3400+ (Clawhammer on the same board

Intel Prescott 3.4Mhz on a Intel 915p board (1024 Mb DDRII pc4300
memory)

Is there much difference between the athlon3000/3400 ??
Will the intel platform have (dis)advantages ?

I will run FreebSD on it (compile a lot of ports) and (windows-xp/98se)
for gaming.

Price is important. I.e. buying the athlon3000 gives me the opportunity
to buy something else, BUT if the speed of the 3400+ is much better, I
can buy that "other stuff" later.. if you see what I mean. I just want a
machine that last a litthle longer...

I.e. the intel MB has a PCIe grahics slot. How important is that (or
not). I will buy a Geforce-6600GT videocard (offer most for less
money..)

Any advice is welcome.

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4