Can't Mount Root

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jul 22 18:43:00 GMT 2005

Ima Camper wrote:
[ ... ]
> da0 is my boot disk and contains /.  However when I
> configured the disk using sysinstall during
> installation, I set it up as "dangerously dedicated".
> Now I wonder if my problem is that I should have used
> "bsdlabel -B /dev/da0" instead of "da0s1a" when
> attempting to install boot blocks?

I suspect your device name ought to be /dev/da0a.
If you are at the boot prompt, what happens if you enter a "?"...?

Anyway, if you tell it the right place, and your fstab is OK, you ought to boot
into the system as normal, from which point you can re-run bsdlabel with the
right device name.

Otherwise, boot off of an install CD, and run the command from a shell.  You
can also begin a custom install and exit after wrws; g just a new boot block
via sysinstall, too.

--
-Chuck