[Jail] Setting default route in Jail?

jaco at coocoo.za.net jaco at coocoo.za.net
Thu Jul 21 15:08:49 GMT 2005

Hello All,

My setup looks like this:
The FreeBSD machine have a public range IP address, and I set up a couple
of jails with private range IP addresses (192.168.x.x) on the same box.

The private range ip adresses are set up as aliases, using the procedure
as described in the jail(8) man page.

All works fine, except for the fact that from within the jails I do not
have internet connectivity as the default route is the same as my jail
hosts default route. For this to work I would have to be able to set my
default route in the jail environment to the IP address of my jail host
and enable the jail host as a gateway.

The problem is that you are not allowed to set the default route inside of
the  jail, and currently this default route is the default route of the
jail host.

I am sure other people must have had this problem before and found a
solution. :)

Anybody know any workrounds? Or maybe a better way to set this up?

Thank you in advance!
---Jaco