Cannot use cvsup

Kent Stewart kbstew01 at owt.com
Sun Jul 17 18:25:44 GMT 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 08:30 pm, Steve Quinn wrote:
> Kent Stewart <kstewart at owt.com> wrote:

> > > i think what is happening is cvsup is not getting the makefiles
> > > for some reason.  if i go into all of my ports, there are no
> > > makefiles. how could this have happened?  i added these lines to
> > > ports-supfile, is this correct?
> > >
> > > *default host=cvsup14.us.freebsd.org
> > > *default base=/var/db
> > > *default prefix=/usr
> > > *default release=cvs
> > > *default delete use-rel-suffix
> > > *default tag=RELENG_5_4
> > > src=all
> >
> > For starters, it is src-all. You also have to use tag=. on doc-all.
> > I have always found it best to separate cvsuping the docs and ports
> > into separate shell scripts. That way you can use the sample
> > scripts and not mess things up.
> >
> > Kent
> >
> > > ports-all tag=.
> > > doc-all
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > /Brian
> >
> > --
> > Kent Stewart
> > Richland, WA
> >
> > http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html
>
> Howdy folks
>
> I'm not a CVSup expert, however I am concerned about the
> ports-supfile
>
> Kudo's to Kent for pointing out src=all.  That needs a fixin
>
> I'm also concerned about *default base=/var/db as well
>
> Perhaps consider a wonderful beverage and about 15 minutes of your
> time to carefull read the CVSup section of the handbook
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> Then, if you feel like I did after trying to figure out CVSup for the
> first time, you may find my CVSup notes helpfull (shameless plug
> sorry)
>
> http://www.isgsp.net/freebsd/index.html

Well, it has problems to begin with. You have included all 3 but didn't
specify the proper tag. You have docs-all and src-all using the same
tag. The docs and the ports are only tagged for "tag=.".

When you combine like this, a default tag is preferable to adding tag=?
to a area. Besides, you don't need to cvsup the docs, src, and ports at
the same frequency. So, whay add them all to a single script.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA