Cannot use cvsup

Steve Quinn letter2steve at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 03:30:32 GMT 2005

Kent Stewart <kstewart at owt.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 16 July 2005 12:05 pm, Brian John wrote:
> > Igor Robul wrote:
> > >
> > > If you dont have X11 on this machine, then you need
> > > "cvsup-without-gui" package

> > i think what is happening is cvsup is not getting the makefiles for
> > some reason.  if i go into all of my ports, there are no makefiles.
> > how could this have happened?  i added these lines to ports-supfile,
> > is this correct?
> >
> > *default host=cvsup14.us.freebsd.org
> > *default base=/var/db
> > *default prefix=/usr
> > *default release=cvs
> > *default delete use-rel-suffix
> > *default tag=RELENG_5_4
> > src=all
>
> For starters, it is src-all. You also have to use tag=. on doc-all. I
> have always found it best to separate cvsuping the docs and ports into
> separate shell scripts. That way you can use the sample scripts and not
> mess things up.
>
> Kent
>
> > ports-all tag=.
> > doc-all
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > /Brian
>
> --
> Kent Stewart
> Richland, WA
>
> http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html

Howdy folks

I'm not a CVSup expert, however I am concerned about the ports-supfile

Kudo's to Kent for pointing out src=all.  That needs a fixin

I'm also concerned about *default base=/var/db as well

Perhaps consider a wonderful beverage and about 15 minutes of your time to carefull read the CVSup
section of the handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

Then, if you feel like I did after trying to figure out CVSup for the first time, you may find my
CVSup notes helpfull (shameless plug sorry)

http://www.isgsp.net/freebsd/index.html

I hope this helps

Take care

Steve Quinn