g4u and growfs? (Was Make Image of Hard Drive)

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Mon Jul 11 19:45:04 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 11:42:26PM +0100, Iu hh wrote:
> You can try ghost for unix (g4u, here: http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/).  It's a
> very powerful network based cloning software, just pop in the bootable
> disk/cd, and then upload/download the image to your local ftp server.  I'm
> using it to clone 5 identical webservers, works great.

Holy noodle, that looks like awesome stuff!

The only limitation would seem to be systems with varying hard disk size.

But then I think. "You could set up a system with a smallish /usr/local
as the last slice, then ghost it on to your clients, and have a script
to growfs /usr/local to the end of the disk."

But, I don't know for growfs, and I'm concerned that you'd have to do
some magic to the partition table first.  Maybe someone is already doing
something of similar cleverosity?  (And would care to comment.)

Thanks,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/