[RAID] Using raid after install on single disk

jaco at coocoo.za.net jaco at coocoo.za.net
Wed Jul 6 11:35:20 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I have installed FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE on my newly purchased Intel SR1435VP2
platform that has an Intel SE7320VP2 Motherboard.

During the install (and after upgrading to 5.4-STABLE) FreeBSD would not
recognize my RAID controller (ESB6300). I saw recently that support for
this RAID controller was added to 6-CURRENT, so I upgraded.

After upgrading the controller is picked up as ar0 and FreeBSD sees my 2
RAID 1 drives. My problem now is that I am still mounting the drives as
/dev/ad4s1a etc.

I changed my /etc/fstab with the hopes that it would just boot and it
would work as planned, but, it did not. :P

Here is what I did:
Changed all occurrences of /dev/ad4s1x (where x is a, d, e, f) with
/dev/ar0s1x

Rebooted.

Here is what I did not do yet:
Check consistency of the RAID array before booting FreeBSD again. I must
maybe do this before I try again. :)

Now, my question:
What is the correct way to start using the controller now instead of the
direct disk?

Thank you in advance.
---Jaco