Compaq Presario 6000 Install Failure FBSD 5.4 RELEASE

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Jul 6 05:26:57 GMT 2005

Hi Roy,

  Proliant and Presario are two very different families!

  You might have to pull and replace that controller with a
3200, such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56091&item=5785129
537&rd=1

  The ida code has been around a while.  But before doing that
try setting the BIOS up to define the operating system as Windows NT
as I think the SCO Unix definition programs the raid card in some
weird way to where FreeBSD can't access the boot blocks or some
such.

  Also another thing that might help - run completely through the
Compaq Smartstart CD and install a diagnostics partition.  Do not
have FreeBSD delete this, and setup with the Multiboot manager (
the second one down in the choices)

Ted