List all make targets?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jul 4 16:52:39 GMT 2005

Michael Dexter wrote:
> Is there a 'make' flag to list all make targets for any given directory
> containing Makefile* ?

grep ':' Makefile  ...comes pretty close.

> Appreciated!
>
> On the same topic, can anyone recommend an IDE or utility that can help
> me navigate the make hierarchy used by 'build/installworld' and 'release?'

An IDE would simply provide a graphic front end that invokes the make commands
underneath.  It wouldn't make the process less complex.

> It's a brilliant mechanism but I get lost chasing variables that may
> span /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 and /usr/share/mk/ and...

What problem are you trying to solve?  You don't need to read all of that to
use it, any more than a developer needs to understand each and every header
file in order to use #include <stdlib.h>.

--
-Chuck