system wide fetchmail

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD peter.harrison at dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Fri Jul 1 08:38:41 GMT 2005

>Message: 19
>Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 00:15:20 -0500
>From: Ryan Rempel <rgrempel at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: system wide fetchmail
>To: Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>
>On 6/30/05, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
>> I'm building a mail server for a small office. Under Debian
>I have seen the
>> choice of setting up a "system wide" copy of fetchmail. I'd
>rather do that
>> than have to start a seperate copy for each user. Can I do
>this in FreeBSD?
>>
>> If so, an anyone point me to some docs for seting thsi up?
>
>What I do is run fetchmail from root's crontab, and use the -f
>argument to point to a global configuration file -- something like
>this:
>
>*/5 * * * * fetchmail -s -f /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc
>
>Then, in the fetchmailrc, I can configure whatever I need to configure
>in order to fetch whatever mail I want (including from multiple
>servers, for multiple users, etc.).
>
>I think you can also run fetchmail as a daemon if you like -- as far
>as I know, the only trick is to use -f to make fetchmail use a
>configuration file that you can set up as you like.

Fetchmail can be run as a daemon with the -d switch. To have it check for mail every 10 minutes run "fetchmail -d 600". See man fetchmail.

>Now, if you want each user to be able to administer their own
>fetchmailrc, then I don't know how to do that without having each user
>run fetchmail individually.

Peter Harrison.

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Energis in partnership with MessageLabs.

On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free