mounted ext2 fs causes bad shutdown

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Mon Jan 31 03:04:34 PST 2005

On a FreeBSD 5.3 system of mine that is dual boot with linux I have my
linux home partition which is ext3fs mounted on freebsd.  Anytime I
reboot or halt freebsd while it is mounted, freebsd fails to sync all
it's buffers.  The first message Syncing disks, vnodes remaining, starts
out at around 5 or 10 and descreases to 0, then the message Syncing
disks, buffers remaining... starts at 7 and stays at 7 the whole time
untill freebsd gives up and reboots or halts anyways.  Whenever I first
unmount the ext2fs, the vnodes remaining message comes up as usually,
but the buffers remains never does and freebsd just reboots normally.  I
could modify the shutdown scripts to unmount the fs manually I suppose,
but I'd like to solve the real problem.

P.S.  I'd love to debug this myself, but I'm not very familiar with the
freebsd source code yet, and I'm not sure how to use a debugger on it
yet.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C