Booting FreeBSD-5.3 from NTLDR

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh.s at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 23:59:12 PST 2005

> No, boot0 is just a normal file that is 512 bytes long.  There is
> nothing special about it.  In it is a bootloader program that can be
> used to boot FreeBSD, and if you run it during boot, it will read the
> partition table and look for all OSes.  I think it will modify the
> partition table, though, marking the last OS you booted into, but that's
> the program running doing that, the file itself is harmless.

Ok. I must have used some other command then, which resulted in my
first disk MBR getting over-written ... strange. :-/

By the way, does the fact that NTLDR is on my first disk, while
FreeBSD (and hence its MBR boot0) is on my second disk complicate
matters? I mean, you mention boot0 will modify my partition table to
reflect which OS was booted last -- will it by any chance modify the
partition table on the first disk and hence mess it?

--
				Rakhesh
				rax at rakhesh.com