Booting FreeBSD-5.3 from NTLDR

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Sun Jan 30 04:06:24 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 03:35:45PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Hi Joe!
>
> Thanks for that. I'll try that today evening from home, and see how it
> goes. :))
>
> But now here's something else. A doubt actually, based on what you
> said. I didn't mention this in my previous post -- but I had infact
> copied the "/boot/boot0" file to my WinXP partition (though I can't
> recollect if I renamed the file like you said), and poof!! my whole
> parition table and MBR was overwritten!! Suddenly there's no more
> WinXP, and all my partitions there are gone, and all I can boot into
> is FreeBSD!
>
> Thankfully I had Fedora, and using that I searched the net for
> partition unerasing programs, found a demo version which would just
> show me all the deleted paritions (thank god!), booted with a DOS
> floppy and used this program to find the sector numbers of all my
> paritions, and then used Linux fdisk to recreate those partitions and
> move on. :D
>
> At that time I reasoned out that since "/boot/boot0" is a copy of the
> FreeBSD, maybe somehow it overwrote my "/dev/ad0" MBR when I copied
> the file over (possibly this file is special or something) and that's
> how things got messed up. Could you throw some light on what could
> have made things happen that way? Is the fact that I copied "boot0"
> without renaming what caused all these problems? Is "boot0" a special
> file or something?

No, boot0 is just a normal file that is 512 bytes long.  There is
nothing special about it.  In it is a bootloader program that can be
used to boot FreeBSD, and if you run it during boot, it will read the
partition table and look for all OSes.  I think it will modify the
partition table, though, marking the last OS you booted into, but that's
the program running doing that, the file itself is harmless.