FreeBSD browsers...

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Sun Jan 30 02:40:50 PST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:59, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> I've going crazy trying to figure out the browser situation on FreeBSD.
>
> Could someone in the know, create a chart showing the various browsers and
> what plugins are available for each?
>
> I mean, damn, there's Mozilla, Linux Mozilla, Opera, (probably linux
> opera), Konqueror, Firefox.
>
> I'm trying to get plugins working in Firefox, and have been having lots of
> trouble, so I installed Mozilla, figuring I might get smarter and be able
> to find out how it knows where plugins are.  Then I realize (perhaps
> incorrectly, that firefox can use plugins for Linux Mozilla, not native
> mozilla...
>
> I've tried to use the info at http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html but I
> still can't get things to work.

Are you using the native firefox or the linux version? I would suggest you use
the native version (and mybe remove any linux versions you have installed to
avoid any confusion).

If you have the native one, have you installed the linuxpluginwrapper port?

If you have done all that, it should now just be a matter of installing
 - acroread
 - linux-flashplugin
 - linux-realplayer

Then check the entries in /etc/libmap.conf and copy into it any lines you need
from /usr/local/share/examples/linuxplugginwrapper (as stated in the
pkg_message for the linuxpluginwrapper)

My /etc/libmap.conf looks like this:

libc_r.so.5                     libpthread.so.1
libc_r.so                       libpthread.so

# Flash6 with Konqueror (temporary setting)
[/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
libpthread.so.0                 pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libdl.so.2                      pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libz.so.1                       libz.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3        libstdc++.so.4
libm.so.6                       libm.so.2
libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/flash6.so

# Helix RealPlayer with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror
[/usr/local/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so]
libstdc++.so.5                  libstdc++.so.4
libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/realplayer.so

# Acrobat with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror
[/usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so]
libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/acrobat.so

# [ALPHA SUPPORT] Flash7 with Mozilla
#[/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin7/libflashplayer.so]
#libpthread.so.0                 libpthread.so.1
#libdl.so.2                      pluginwrapper/flash7.so
#libz.so.1                       libz.so.2
#libm.so.6                       libm.so.3
#libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/flash7.so

Hope that helps you sort it out.

Cheers,
--
Ian