USB + palm setup.

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Fri Jan 28 10:48:38 PST 2005

> I am having troubles getting my Palm m505 working via USB under 5.3
> RELEASE. For the basic setup, I have been following:
>   http://www.geekhome.net/palm.html
> [...]
> My problem is with /dev/ucom0  and /dev/pilot.  How do I create these
> correctly?  I have the following entry in /etc/usbd.conf:
>   device "PalmOS Device"
>         devname "ucom0"
>         vendor 0x0830
>         product 0x0002
>         release 0x0100
>
> This create /dev/ucom0 on connection but with permissions 660, so
> pilot-link as a user fails.

For the device rights, you can use the following entries in the config
file /etc/devfs.conf:
  # Allow members of group operator to r/w things to the palm
  link   ucom0 pilot
  own    ucom  root:operator
  perm   ucom  0660

And put the desired 'username' in the 'operator' group (or whatever you
want):
  # pw groupmod -n operator -m username

The only drawback i found is that since the ucom device is created on
"demand", you need to restart devfs each time you plug the palm in:
  # /etc/rc.d/devfs restart

I personaly don't have this problem since i use the "sync over ppp"
method.  The proposed method from geekhome did not work for me the
last time i try it; but i can give it an other try just to see).

--
-jpeg.