portmanager loop?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jan 26 05:38:30 PST 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 4:38 AM, cali wrote:

>> I had (have?) several packages in the ports collection that needed
>> updating, and recently someone in the list was talking about using
>> portmanager -u to save on problems with updating; it doesn't touch
>> the ports database, it won't mess up the collection, it walks
>> dependencies automagically, etc...should be as easy as "portmanager
>> -u" and letting  it do it's magic, correct?
>
> I read the same thing, and thought I'd give it a shot.
>
>> On the Dell 2650 this is running on (FBSD 4.9) *seems* to keep
>> recompiling xfree86-4-server.  Is there a way to tell if it is stuck
>> in  a loop?  I had to stop it yesterday after it had been upgrading
>> for  several hours.
>
> The same thing happened to me. Not sure where it was stuck but I was
> getting a distinct sense of deja-vu watching the output (I don't
> really mean deja-vu but I can't think of a better way to say it). I
> left it for 30 hours, and then cancelled it. I'm going to try and run
> it again today, I'd like to know also if it will eventually get out of
> the loop, i.e if it is really a loop or something different.
>
> sorry that this post doesn't really help the situation

Actually the developer for portmanager contacted me about it.  He asked
for some logfiles, and I didn't think the list wanted a 300k zip file
mass mailed so I was privately emailing him about the situation.  He's
looking into it and hoped to have a fix soon.  He's been wonderful with
response time to this error and I was glad to help with any logs or
testing I could.

He had hoped to have a fix in there soon, but I don't know if he found
answers yet as to what caused the loop.

-Bart