CVS Blues

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Jan 25 07:58:16 PST 2005

On 2005-01-25 17:04, Chris Knipe <savage at savage.za.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a CVS Repositry running via pserver.  After allot
> of googling, I managed to get the server up and authentication
> working via the internal passwd file.
>
> However, as soon as I log in to the repositry (via wincvs), the cvs
> process on the server core dumps with sig 11
>
> Jan 25 17:00:12 netsphere xinetd[87286]: Started working: 1 available service
> Jan 25 17:00:21 netsphere /kernel: pid 87296 (cvs), uid 89: exited on signal 11

You should probably try building a debug version of cvs and obtain a
crash dump of the server:

	# cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs
	# make cleandir
	# make cleandir
	# env CFLAGS='-O -ggdb' make obj all install

Then, start a CVS server as a non-root user (if it starts as root, it
will not dump a core file when it crashes) and try again.  Once you
have a cvs.core file mail me and I'll help you use gdb to find out why
it crashes.

Knowing what version of FreeBSD and CVS you have may help a bit too.

- Giorgos