Sangoma S518 ADSL

Tim Preece bsdbod at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 05:39:59 PST 2005

Hi All,

Just got my router up and running as a 3 homed host thanks to Patrick
Gelsema and Aaron Siegel, great, only now the router decided to die.

As a result I have been searching the internet for a suitable card and
after seeing this Sangoma S518 ADSL card and some good write ups I have
purchased one.

I can't get this thing working with FreeBSD 5.3 even though it states
that it works. The problem seems to be with ifconfig. I have built a
new Kernel numerous times now including device sdla pci? and device
sppp, but still the driver moans about not finding SPPP in the kernel
and can't create interface wpaads10.

I am not sure if I even need SPPP.

Has anyone had a success story with this card, even if it is with an
older version of FreeBSD or even version 3.6 of OpenBSD ?

My ISP assigns me a fixed IP address and wants me to use PPPoA with
the encoding set to VMuX and not LLC. I also need to sign in with
a username and password (which I think requires PAM).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Preece.