Cheap, reliable mass storage

Sergei Gnezdov use-reply-to at nofrom.not
Sun Jan 23 21:12:04 PST 2005

On 2005-01-23, markzero <mark at darklogik.org> wrote:

> To clarify, I'm looking for long-term reliability, low cost and large
> space rather than high performance. I have a budget of around $600-900
> to spend but I would not have to buy a PC as I have plenty of old
> machines (average spec: Intel P3 700mhz) laying around that would=20
> probably be up to the job.

You can buy lots of storage for $900...  How much storage do you need?

One way to do it.  Take one machine, get 2 large drives for the data, one
smaller drive for the OS and a CD-ROM drive.  Send all the data to the
first data drive and configure OS to sync second drive every 24 hours.

If you have a pranoia about safety of the data on one machine, buy
external drive enclosure.  Attach external drive only when it is time
to run a backup.