FreeBSD 5.3 I/O Performance / Linux 2.6.10

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Sun Jan 23 20:15:33 PST 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Nick Pavlica wrote:

> All,
>   This post is not about BSD VS. Linux and should not be taken that
> way.  I think that "Flame Wars/Engineer Wars" are  waste of time and
> energy.  I was surprised by my test results and didn't want to take
> FBSD out of the loop just yet.  There may be flaws in my testing that
> have led me to inaccurate results.  I didn't share the testing details
> in the original mail because of time constraints, and the notes are
> fairly lengthy.  I will add my notes to this mail so that there is a
> better understanding of what tests I performed, and their results.
> It's important to note that I did not tweak any of the default
> settings of the OS or DB.  The notes should be generally self
> explanatory, but will be more that happy to clarify any questions that
> you have.  As a side note, I chose the email address linicks because
> by name is Nick, and thought it was a fun play on words.  I appreciate
> all of your feedback, so that I can better understand the differences
> in these great operating systems and communities.
>
> Thanks Again!
> --Nick Pavlica
>
> "OK, The testing notes already" :)

Hi,
please put your test results on a web page so that everyone who is
interested can look them up and everyone who is not interested does not have
to pay for receiving such a long mail.

You are using different versions of postgresql?
Did you set up the three systems with the same partitioning or did you set
up all three on one harddrive?
What is the meaning of this email: regarding your test FreeBSD is not as
fast as the other OSes - so what do you want to know? I do not get it.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit