location of kernel modules

Gardner Bell gbell72 at rogers.com
Fri Jan 21 11:30:24 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:02:57PM +0100 Colin J. Raven wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me where the kernel modules are located, and
> where are they described? I ask this so that I can figure out which to
> include/exclude in OPTIONS_OVERRIDE in /whatever/make.conf (separate
> post).
>
> I'd hate to *guess* at what to include/exclude, that sounds sort of
> risky..and I'm assuming there must be some method for doing this for
> someone of my (thus far) hopelessly limited experience.

The kernel modules are located in the /usr/src/sys/modules directory.
I have determined what to use and not use by both reviewing the dmesg
output and doing a whatis on each module.  Running whatis on each
module seems to take forever but it is how I did it.  Maybe someone
else knows of a quicker way.

Here is the list of modules I have included in the MODULES_OVERRIDE
directive.
accf_data accf_http acpi agp aio amd aout bios cam cd9660 cd9660_iconv
cp crypto cryptodev dc dcons dcons_crom fdc fdescfs geom i2c io
libiconv linux lpt mac_biba mac_bsdextended mac_ifoff mac_lomac
mac_mls mac_none mac_partition mac_portacl mac_seeotheruids mac_stub
mac_test mem mii netgraph pccard ppbus ppi pps random rc rc4 re
rndtest safe sem sound speaker splash syscons sysvipc ubsa ufs ugen
uhid unionfs usb vesa vinum zlib

I've probably included more modules than I will ever use, but I think
it gives you an idea.  You will *definitely* want to modify the
modules to your specific hardware.

Regards
Gardner