port update problem - newbie

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Jan 21 09:56:53 PST 2005

saravanan ganapathy <sarav_gsa at yahoo.com> writes:

> Since I am very new to freebsd, I am not sure abt the
> ports collections which I don't want.

Then try keeping them all.  After the first time, it doesn't take that
long to update the collection of makefiles.

Note that the ports system does not officially support anything *but*
keeping the whole ports tree, so you want to keep the whole thing and
update it all at the same time, unless limited bandwidth or limited
disk space make that impractical.

> I am trying to use freebsd for web hosting servers.Can
> you list the ports which are not useful for servers?

Not really.  And you should have plenty of bandwidth and disk space,
so leaving out some of the ports will cost you more effort than it
saves.

> How to use refuse file?

The cvsup manual covers this quite well. ("man cvsup")
But again, I advise you not to bother.