I do not understand kernel modules

Dominique Goncalves dominique.goncalves at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 02:25:17 PST 2005

Hello,

You can use this options :
NO_MODULES=    true    # do not build modules with the kernel
MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true        # do not build modules when building kernel

in your /etc/make.conf, read /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf for more options.

Regards.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:55:32 +0100, Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz at wanadoo.es> wrote:
> Jorn Argelo wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:38:54 +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote
> >
> >>Hello friends.
> >>
> >>I am a FreeBSD newbie, I am going to ask you a question that I have not
> >>been able to solve reading the manual. I am using 5.3 release. I have
> >>compiled a custom kernel in my old pentium 75 MHz machine to include
> >>the driver for my sound card. I added the following lines to the kernel
> >>config file
> >>
> >>device sound
> >>device "snd_es137x"
> >>
> >>and compiled the kernel perfectly. (long time.... ;-)  )
> >>
> >>But there is something that I do not understand well. When I look at
> >>the contents of /boot/kernel/ directory, I found that there are
> >>kernel sound modules *.ko for every sound card the kernel supports.
> >>Should not there be my sound card module alone? Does It mean that
> >>you have to compile all the stuff, even if you are going to use only
> >>one kind of sound card? Am I missing something?
> >

> > Your sound card has been build into the kernel itself (which is /boot/kernel/
> > kernel AFAIK). The *.ko are kernel modules, which you can load using the
> > kldload command. So in case you get a new sound card, find out what driver it
> > supports and you can use kldload <yourdriver>.ko to get support for your sound
> > card without recompiling your kernel.
>

> Yes, I understand now. The problem is that my old pentium machine takes
> very long time to compile all the modules even if I am not going to use
> them. I would like to compile only the modules I use, to reduce
> compiling time. Is that possible?
>
> Thanks
>

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jorn

There's this old saying: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach
a man to fish, feed him for life."