FreeBSD I LOVE YOU

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Thu Jan 20 04:57:30 PST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:55:39 -0600 (CST), Scott Bennett wrote
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:26:49 -0500 daniel quinn <freebsd at danielquinn.org>
> wrote:

> >> "team" Fac> is targeting.
> >>
> >> At least someone is thinking of it.  There are a lot of PCs out there
> >> that are still in perfect working order, but are too slow to run the
> >> hugely bloated desktop operating systems (and the "server" versions
> >> thereof) that are popular today.  Efficient operating systems like UNIX
> >> can give these machines new life and purpose and save tremendous
> >> resources in the process.
> >>
> >> Indeed, someone in the Third World without the means to buy a new PC and
> >> an expensive Windows license could find a junk PC and install FreeBSD on
> >> it for nothing, and be up and running in no time.  While UNIX doesn't
> >> have the advantages of Windows on the desktop, you can't beat the price,
> >> and it'll run on anything.
> >
> >not to mention the huge environmental implications of producing newer
hardware
> >every year to support said bloated hardware.  if the same job can be done
> >with a 10 year old box, i'm glad freebsd is here to help me do it.
> >
>       The recent discussion in this thread causes me to wonder
> whether FreeBSD's performance on older, slower equipment could be a
contributing
> factor to why hardware vendors like Dell and ATI are willing to
> provide only limited support for LINUX and none at all for FreeBSD.
> After all, if FreeBSD lets a Pentium II w/MMX handle, for example, a
> moderately loaded web site or large network firewall or some other
> reasonable use and thereby obviating many purchases of hardware
> upgrades, why would they want to encourage its use?

AFAIK Dell only provides support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Which is a
company. There's probably profit in it for Dell as well. So why would a
company that want more money give support for an operating system where is no
money to be gained from?

Of course, I could be completely wrong in here. So feel free to correct me if
I am :)

Cheers,

Jorn