FreeBSD I LOVE YOU

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jan 20 03:14:29 PST 2005

Scott Bennett wrote:

>      And so your preference would be that the machines should go to a landfill
> rather than to someone who can't afford a computer at all?

Here in the Civilized World, we recycle the materials used in computers
(well, most of them), we don't throw them into the sea.

>      You sound awfully willing to spend other people's money.  Perhaps you
> should ask them to buy you some texts on economics.

Perhaps you should attempt to do some calculations and try to find out
which is actually less expensive, and at the same time, provides bigger
benefit.  Apart from the fact that a person who speaks Arabic or
Indonesian, or Pashtu probably has little use for a "kewl-themed"
blackbox desktop, or something like that.  That works for us
latin-script Unix geeks with a working knowledge of English but
certainly not for an average user in the 3rd World.  And anything that
gets near internationalization on Unix or Linux, namely KDE and Gnome,
requires even more powerful hardware than "Windoze" and probably still
doesn't have the kind of local language integration that a localized
version of Windows has.

Wake up from your pipe dreams.  Shipping decommissioned computers to the
3rd world is not going to solve any development problem.  Cheap Asian
computers with a pirated localized version of XP Home and Office are a
lot more effective here.